Pathway to your dream school
College admission process is a learning process. It’s about self-discovery, broadening perspective, and building meaningful relationships.”
Jennifer Kim M.A. Columbia University
The Founder of HJK Admission Consulting and an admissions expert, Jennifer Kim is a Columbia University graduate and a licensed school counselor with a masters degree in education. Jennifer has a personal experience applying and getting acceptance to top schools such as U.C. Berkeley and Columbia University and is currently serving as the Board Advisor to the Montessori International Bordeaux in France. Using her personal and professional experience, Jennifer has helped many students both domestic and international place into their top choice universities with her highly personalized, strategic, thoughtful, engaging, detailed guidance and professional network.
HJK Admission Consulting
HJK specializes in helping students and their families achieve their educational dreams. By leveraging more than a decade of experience and top track record, HJK provides comprehensive and holistic guidance on researching, targeting, and packaging college applications as well as scholarships.
California Pupil Personnel Service Credential (PPSC) School Counselor, prekindergarten through grade 12 Certified Korean Language Translator, National Language Service Corps (NLSC)
2018 – 19 Life Changer of the Year Nominee
2017 – 18 Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction, National Society of High School Scholars
2017 – 18 Nominated Committee Member, Independent Schools Associations of the Southwest
2016 – 17 Member of Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education
2016 – 17 TC General Scholarship Recipient – Teachers College, Columbia University
- American Educational Research Association
- American School Counselor Association
- American Counseling Association
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Independent Educational Consultants Association
- International Association for College Admission Counseling
- International Society of Learning Sciences
- National Language Service Corps
- National Society of High School Scholars
- Get to know your student’s interests, aptitude, and attitudes
- Help select high school courses and activities that highlights and excites the students
- Help select a compelling topic and craft effective, winning essays that will stand out to an admissions committee
- Collaborate with other professionals in the field to expand the student’s possibilities
- Get students into universities where they can grow and thrive as young adults
- Develop a balanced list of colleges based on student’s academic, social, personal, financial needs, and desires
- Develop application strategy (EA, ED, ED2, RD, and other admission programs)
Find out how Jennifer can help your child succeed.
"*" indicates required fields
Professional admission consulting
that assess where you are!
- Provide an evaluation and suggestion based on students’ academic history
- Review of transcript trends, extracurricular activities, and students’ strengths and weaknesses
- Make recommendations on course selection
- Provide a strategic action plan for standardized testing; test prep strategy, exam choice, development of timetable
- Provide thought on possible majors and types of schools to explore
- Answers to your questions about college admissions process
College List Research
to find the best fit!
- Explore criteria for selecting the right college and university
- Guide students to research colleges based on their criteria
- Present a list of schools based on criteria developed collaboratively with student and family
- Help locate webinars and virtual college tour links to help students and families explore college options
- Help coordinate campus visits, if possible
College Application Prep
to stand out from the crowd!
- Develop an application strategy
- Provide guidance on early and regular application cycles
- Provide advice on getting great letters of recommendation
- Calibrate resume to make a stronger and more compelling profile
- Help connect with the admission representatives and counselors to show demonstrated interest
College Admission Essays
price vary by number of applications
Conceptualize, structure, and develop essay topics that streamline with the entire application
Comprehensive editing with comments on topic, structure, tone, and mechanics
Blind Reads with comments and feedback
High School Comprehensive
Full Service Packages
Freshman and sophomore year, students need to work with a counselor to identify interests, plan challenging course load, select appropriate and impactful extracurricular activities, and summer experiences.
Junior year is the most critical college prep year. Students need to continue to perform well in the classroom and craft a challenging course load for senior year, finalize a balanced college list, develop an application strategy, and begin to brainstorm a compelling personal statement.
Senior year, students will finalize their college list, and all application elements including personal statement and all supplements in order to complete their applications well ahead of deadlines.
Service Academies Package
The 5 US Service Academies:
- US Military Academy at West Point
- US Naval Academy at Annapolis
- US Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point
- US Coast Guard Academy at New London
- The Process Begins Early in 11th Grade
- Must apply for a Nomination from the US Congress for all Academies, except US Coast Guard Academy
- Must be Nominated in order to be considered for an Appointment by an Academy and the US President
- Must also be deemed a ‘qualified candidate’ by the Academies (physical, character, and academic)
- Nominations provided by US Congressman (House of Representatives), US Senators (two per state), or the Vice President of USA
College Acceptances & Scholarships
AND MANY MORE!
Helping students get into their dream school.
I have been working with Mrs. Kim since my freshman year. She was extremely knowledgeable and accommodating in working with how I wanted to present myself on college applications. She gave me honest, insightful, and thorough feedback on all aspects of my college profile. She also helped me practice my interviewing skills, which was very useful when interviewing for scholarships and with the admissions officers. Thanks to her sound advice, I was accepted to all of my top choice universities—MIT, Duke, Georgetown, the US Military Academy, and the US Naval Academy.
Mrs. Kim is an encouraging, dedicated, and knowledgeable college counselor. She was an unparalleled resource for my classmates and me during a process that is often stressful for students. She excelled at understanding my goals for college and my future career, and she devoted hours to discussing what schools would be strong matches for me. Mrs. Kim’s detail-oriented perspective was invaluable in helping me determine my personal story. She goes above and beyond not only to counsel students, but to push them to challenge themselves personally and academically. Mrs. Kim’s kind and intelligent nature made the college application process enjoyable, and I am immensely grateful for her guidance and support.
Ms. Kim has been an instrumental figure not just in my college admission process but in my life. She's the best counselor, teacher, mentor, and a friend anyone could ask for! As a first-generation student, I needed to find the best colleges that meet my academic, social, and financial needs. She helped me dig deep, gain confidence in myself, and write meaningful essays. She also guided me to explore majors and careers I hadn’t thought of. I am now attending a prestigious college with a 95% scholarship, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for Ms. Jennifer Kim.
Mrs. Kim’s help and counsel was instrumental in making my college dream come true. She guided me every step of the way, from choosing the right colleges and major, to essay writing, and communication with admissions offices. She never tried to impose her views over mine. Every idea I expressed was considered in an open and constructive matter, which led me to tremendously improve my essay writing skills and most importantly to feel confident in the story I was choosing to tell. I was impressed and touched by her undeniable trust and support. Having her so involved and caring really helped me go through the difficult parts of this process and allows me to enjoy my present successes even more.
Sciences Po & UC Berkeley
Jennifer has been a wonderful college admissions advisor for my two sons and currently, my daughter. Both of my sons have been able to attend college on full academic scholarships and I have complete faith in her guidance. She is a persistent advocate for her students and goes the extra mile to ensure that they are competitive for admissions and that they are a good fit for the college they choose to attend. She spends a lot of time with students under her care, getting to know their personalities, strengths and weaknesses beyond the GPAs and standardized test scores. In doing so, she can best advise them on how to put their best foot forward. Jennifer takes their growing pains and triumphs to heart because she is earnest in wanting them to succeed. Her foresight and planning advice have been instrumental to my children's success in competitive college placement. My children think of her as a lifelong mentor and have stayed in touch with her over the years. Jennifer is the epitome of excellence in educational guidance and college counseling.
Jennifer is a remarkable individual and a tireless advocate for her students and their families. She invests all of her energy, passion, expertise, and many talents to ensure that each of her students is best positioned to achieve their goals. She knows each of her student's backgrounds, emotions, skills, and goals intimately and guides them with encouragement through the complex university admission process. I am a proud parent of two sons admitted to their top choice universities—engineering programs at Carnegie Mellon, Rice, USC, U.C. Berkeley, UCLA, and all three military academies, and we could not have achieved these results without Jennifer.